With accountants from firms big and small tweeting their two-cents on industry happenings, Twitter is full of job postings and potential leads. But the vast Twitter-scape can be too generous in its information-sharing, easily overwhelming even the most-savvy surfers. So FINS scouted out the top Twitter feeds for job seekers in the field.
Below is our list of five worth following:
1. @AccountingMA: Don't be fooled by the shout-out to New England in this Twitter handle. Boston staffing firm Hollister Inc., the voice behind the tweets, has plenty to say to accounting pros from coast to coast. While some posts cover the drier industry developments ("A simplified explanation and example of SFAS 123R's calculated value method,"), many spotlight who to keep an eye on (an Ohio firm recognized for exemplary workplace practices) and who to avoid ("a New York CPA gets 33 months for stealing refunds"). It frequently alerts followers to new job openings, cheerleading some favorites with a "HOT JOB!" introduction.
Number of followers: 885
Sample tweet: "The Art of Self Promotion: Read how one job seeker promoted himself using innovative methods at the Hatch Awards!"
2. @Big4Alum: This juicy feed is run by the alumni group behind Big4.com, a blog that caters to the interests of former employees of Accenture, Andersen, Bearing Point, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, CapGemini, KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers. Even for those who haven't had the privilege of working at one of these accounting giants, it's well worth reading. Particularly job seekers, who need to be up on the doings of the big boys. Tweets chronicle the latest job appointments, openings and other happenings, such as a discussion on CNBC on accounting's role in the financial crisis between Jim Turley, global chairman of Ernst & Young, and Bob Moritz, U.S. chairman of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Number of followers: 675
Sample tweet: "Chicago beats Chicago to be #1 on Crains Chicago rankings"
3. @KuninAssociates: Maintained by an accountant recruiting firm by the same name, this Twitter account offers a mix of career tips and job openings. Tweets tend to avoid industry news to instead focus more on job-search advice. Florida residents may get more use out of its job postings. Kunin is based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and its announcements tend to favor the Sunshine State.
Number of followers: 1,250
Sample tweet: "Subtle Cues Can Tell an Interviewer 'Pick Me'. Interesting article from The New York Times."
4. @Lifeatmcgladrey: Ben Gotkin, national recruiting director at RSM McGladrey, tweets about what's cooking at McGladrey, an accounting, tax and business-consulting firm serving the middle market. All the big accounting firms are on Twitter, often posting job openings and revealing little else, but Gotkin's is among the most active of these accounts, and he writes in a friendly, conversational tone, often on upcoming recruiting events and office expansions. The feed can be, however, PR-heavy at times -- one recent tweet invited followers to check out a slideshow showing how much fun its summer interns were having.
Number of followers: 811
Sample tweet: "McGladrey's Irvine, CA office named a Best Place To Work by the OCBJ. There are jobs available there too!"
5. @CPA_Trendlines: Rick Talberg, head of Bay Street Group, a marketing firm for accounting firms, isn't a career specialist, but he can help you ace that job interview. His feed aggregates an impressive amount of information about the latest trends in the CPA world. He frequently points followers to other major accounting-news sources when considered trend-worthy, such as what the IRS is up to and what industry captains are saying about IFRS and GAAP convergence. Talberg also tweets the occasional bit of trivia, such as the 100 oldest currently registered dot-com domains. Not exactly something to come up at an IFRS roundtable, but such tidbits can be priceless icebreakers.
Number of followers: 2,857
Sample tweet: "RT @: Barry Melancon briefing State Society leaders-CPA Prof'n dealing with lots of issues-fed/state leg, intl and more "
-- The New CPA Exam, Layoffs, and the Top Twitter Feeds in Accounting
-- Top Twitter Feeds For Job Hunters in Private Equity
Know of any great accounting Twitter feeds? Let us know!
To get the latest finance career news, follow FINSider on Twitter.