Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a senior financial advisor to serve as the primary investment manager for AMS ultra-high-net-worth clients. This position will be Vanguard's most senior position for client-facing responsibilities with individual clients and their families.
Your primary duties and responsibilities:
- Acquires and manages the department's largest and most complex client/family ultra-high-net-worth ('UHNW') relationships. Interacts with contacts such as family patriarch/matriarch, several family generations, and family representatives such as business advisors, estate planning attorneys and accountants. Requires interaction with clients' advisors to insure complex plans and strategies are implemented. Develops thorough understanding of clients' needs and incorporates knowledge of complex investment management and wealth planning strategies into the relationship management objectives. Effectively communicates expert-level understanding of investment and tax strategies employed for various types of trusts.
- Has discretionary authority to manage the portfolio of client/family assets. Flawlessly executes portfolio transition strategies, portfolio construction, tax minimization strategies, individual securities management (stocks and bonds), performance analysis and attribution, and overall application of AMS investment methodology with more flexibility relative to non-UHNW clients. Articulates and applies hedging strategies as necessary where concentrated positions exist. Demonstrates expertise regarding alternative asset classes, derivative strategies, and sophisticated tax-management techniques. Conducts investment reviews for the client (i.e., market and economic performance, portfolio and fund performance, portfolio construction, and asset allocation) and conducts subsequent meetings with the client's representatives and/or investment committees. Provides clients with superior communication through qualitative, professional, credible and engaging dialogue.
- Identifies and plans for all sophisticated wealth planning issues. Where necessary, coordinates and draws on Vanguard tax, legal and investment expertise. Has understanding of dispositive provisions in wills and trust documents and how those provisions relate to estate tax and trust law in accomplishing the client's goals. Discusses document language with client and estate planning attorneys to ensure compliance with Vanguard National Trust Company or legal requirements. Maintains thorough working knowledge of advanced tax and estate planning issues.
- Actively participates in the sales process with prospective UHNW clients and family representatives (many of which will be high-profile internally and/or externally) and primarily responsible for deepening existing client relationships (garnering client assets outside of our current management - and obtaining referral business opportunities from existing clients). This position will work closely with our Sales Professionals when presenting AMS/Vanguard capabilities to UHNW prospects and will play a key role in closing new business. Cross-sells other VGI services and products which might be useful to client based on awareness of their needs. Serves as a Vanguard 'ambassador' by responding to a wide range of client questions in an effort to best represent the Vanguard story and service superiority.
- Participates in regulatory review by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency or internal/external audit reviews of client accounts.
- Serves as a department leader, mentor, role model and technical resource to less experienced Investment Managers, and AMS staff in general.
- Participates with department's top management on special projects or committees; including active involvement in the development of this new business segment within AMS, and ongoing input into its direction and evolution.
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of compliance, regulatory and departmental policies and procedures. This includes obtaining a thorough knowledge of the regulatory requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and Asset Management Services (AMS) internal BSA compliance and anti-money laundering policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Undergraduate degree in finance-related field preferred. Advanced degree (e.g., MBA) preferred.
- CFP designation required. CFA preferred.
- Minimum eight years of directly related experience with proven client relationship skills, wealth management technical competencies, and sales-related experience.
- FINRA Series 6 and 63 licenses.
- Superior technical skills related to investment management and broad financial planning.
- Proven track record in directly serving UHNW clients.
- Proven ability to practice discretion in private and confidential client matters.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong presentation skills.
- Superior desktop computing skills including spreadsheet capabilities, database knowledge, and other analytical applications.
- Demonstrated executive and client presence, and ability to positively influence professional community (CPAs, attorneys, etc.).
- Broad knowledge of Vanguard funds and investment process; broad awareness of competitive landscape and general business environment.
- There will be some travel required; meeting with clients, and/or their representatives face-to-face - and traveling with Sales Professionals to help close new business opportunities. It is estimated that approximately 10-20% of annual position requirements will require some form of travel.
Note: Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a successful drug-screening result.
Position available in AZ, NC, and PA.