The foundation of this position is the accurate and timely filing of MetLife Inc.'s SEC and GAAP reporting requirements and other financial information provided to external parties. To be able to fulfill this function appropriately the holder of this position must have strong SEC and GAAP reporting and accounting knowledge, insurance industry experience, an ability to work with large teams to achieve a quality end result and the ability to implement process changes.
As the major initiatives of the Company, and, correspondingly, the Financial Operations, Accounting & Controllers Team (FACT), culminate in the recording of transactions within the basic financial statements, or in disclosures in the notes to the financial statements, this position requires a candidate who can quickly grasp an understanding of these significant transactions, assess the accounting and required disclosures for such transactions and the ability to assist in leading initiatives - such as productivity enhancements and streamline the financial reporting processes - to ensure that the results are appropriately reflected in the financial statements.
Summary of Principal Responsibilities:
The principal responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop strong SEC/GAAP reporting relationships with both critical internal and external clients.
- Assist in the timely and accurate submission of regular periodic SEC filings (e.g. Form 10-Ks & 10-Qs) including ensuring the consistency of disclosures between all SEC registrants of the Company.
- Participate in various special projects/transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, as well as debt offerings (e.g. S-3s).
- Assist in the accuracy of all financial information provided to internal and external parties (e.g. CFO Presentations).
- Ensure compliance with SOX regulations over internal controls over financial reporting.
- Perform quality reviews of SEC and GAAP filings.
- Implement process improvements to improve timeliness and quality of periodic SEC and GAAP filings.
- Perform concurring reviews for internal and external financial reports.
- Interact on a regular basis with the lines of business (LOBs), IT, Treasury, Investments, Financial Operations, Tax, Legal. Technical Accounting Group and others within financial reporting to achieve common goals and ensure coherence in principle and in practice.
- Assist in the development of disclosures on accounting transactions and standards by working closely with the Technical Accounting Group as well as investigate and resolving issues.
Team, Project Management and Management Skills - This position requires the candidate to:
- Build relationships, develop business knowledge, as well as partner with other members in team.
- Ability to coordinate activities among the LOBs, IT, Treasury, Investments, Financial Operations, Tax, Legal, Technical Accounting, SOX, Internal Audit and External Auditors.
- Be pro-active in implementing process improvements.
- Establish goals, deadlines and deliverables and meet them.
- Typically requires between 3 to 5 years of Big 4 and/or public company experience.
- BA/BS degree in accounting or finance required. Completion of or working towards a CPA or MBA is highly preferred.
- Requires strong analytical, interpersonal, communications (written and oral), & time management skills.
- Requires ability to quickly acquire an understanding of the organization's operations and its accounting systems.
- SEC experience including periodic filings under 1934 Act as well as experience with 1933 Act, debt and equity offerings.
- Experience managing and coordinating teams or projects.