The UBS IB synthetic swaps application. Based in London or Stamford, this individual will join a dynamic swaps development team, responsible for the development and maintenance of the IT requirements of the Global Equity Delta 1 Business Unit. UBS is a recognised industry leader in the provision of Synthetic Prime Brokerage (Equity Swaps).
SABRE (Swaps Algorithm Booking and Reporting Engine) is the strategic global swaps application supporting the trading, settlement and lifecycle management of equity swaps. The core development team is located in London with smaller regional teams based in the Ukraine and the US. Technology is based on a C#.NET GUI communicating with a J2EE WebSphere server, a C# server side calculation engine and Oracle database.
The successful candidate will be located in London or Stamford but will be expected to build relationships in and outside of IT on a global basis.
Your job will be to work within the development team on all Java/J2EE aspects of the system, (with opportunities for SQL and C# development according to your experience and career goals). You will also work with business analysts and QA to deliver the best possible service and high quality products to our clients. The role provides an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to the swaps business and be actively involved in shaping the strategic development of the product.
As a senior developer you will work with small sub-teams (typically 2 to 5 people) to deliver enhancements to the system. Once familiar with the system you will have responsibility for, and take ownership of, development streams for strategic initiatives. This means you will be responsible for technical design and the technical management of the team, including reviewing the work of others, along with possible opportunities for line management of other members of the team.
You will have the opportunity to work with the Business Analysts on the project, as well as talking directly to the business users to understand their requirements, helping to capture, document and transform requirements into detailed technical designs which can be readily understood and developed.
You will require data analysis, process analysis, change control management skills and a broad understanding of project management, project lifecycles and project deliverables.
You will contribute to the evolution of the system's architecture and technology, as well as the continual improvement of development processes.
The development team is spread across London, New York and Kiev, so you will be working with (and coordinating) people in all these locations.
You will be expected to build strong relationships and work in partnership with clients from both the business and IT. On the business side this includes representatives from Product Development Group (PDG), Front Office, Operations, Finance and Risk departments. You must ensure client expectations are managed effectively throughout the project lifecycle. IT cross-team collaboration is essential for successful front to back delivery and you will interact with other teams where dependencies exist and need to be managed.
We have dedicated teams to handle Level 1 and Level 2 support of the system with the intention of insulating the development team from support tasks where possible. Your role will include an element of third-line support, which provides a further opportunity to interact directly with the user community and business sponsors.
- Bachelors Degree or International Equivalent
- 5+ years experience with core Java and Java EE
- 5+ years experience with J2EE containers, (WebSphere - esp. v6 - admin and troubleshooting a particular advantage)
- 5+ years experience with Hibernate (v3.4) and its integration with Spring, HQL queries, named queries, the 'n+1' problem, lazy loading and optimistic locking.
- 5+ years experience with Spring (IOC for object inter-dependencies and configuration (inserting configuration parameters).
- Strong familiarity with Websphere (or equivalent) services, including data source provision and connection to an LDAP directory for authorisation at the EJB call level.
- Strong familiarity with web services (WSDL definitions, code generation, configuration within Websphere).
- Solid understanding of EJB theory, able to explain how the application server handles EJBs and the associated transaction management.
- Oracle PL SQL experience (10g moving to 11g) knowledge, particularly advanced query writing skills and knowledge of performance tuning. Experience with: materialised views, functional indexes, partitioning strategies, denormalisation techniques, index analysis, query hinting, statistics gathering theory, query plan analysis.
- Unix/Linux command line and basic scripting
- Strong communication, analysis and problem solving skills and be practiced in understanding and capturing complex business requirements.
- Experience of financial markets a plus; knowledge of swaps would obviously be a big advantage but is not a requirement; the team is practiced in educating new team members in the required domain knowledge.
In addition, you are...
Quick to learn, self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Capable of communicating effectively between both business and technical stakeholders and also with team members.
- An excellent team player
- Capable of working with minimal supervision, flexible in approach and able to adapt to changing circumstances of the project.
- Able to meet and deliver on deadlines and able to work well under pressure.
- Experienced in the full project lifecycle from initial requirements gathering through UAT support to post-implementation support.
- Versed in different development methodologies e.g. Iterative, Agile. Scrum etc.
- Experienced in architecting and implementing medium/large IT solutions
- Experienced with enterprise/ n tiered / service-oriented architectures