William Blair & Company, L.L.C. is a global investment firm offering investment banking, asset management, equity research, institutional and private brokerage, and private capital to individual, institutional, and issuing clients. Since 1935, we have been committed to helping clients achieve their financial objectives. As an independent, employee-owned firm, our philosophy is to serve our clients' interests first and foremost. We place a high value on the enduring nature of our client relationships, the quality of our products and services, and the continuity and integrity of our people. William Blair & Company is based in Chicago, with office locations including Boston; London; New York; San Francisco; Shanghai; Wilmington, Delaware; and Zurich. For more information, please visit www.williamblair.com .
- Deal execution:
- Assist in the implementation of distressed sale and refinancing /recapitalization transactions.
- Responsibilities regarding distressed sale transactions include (i) participation in business and financial due diligence, (ii) preparation of sale memoranda, (iii) coordination of investor due diligence, (iv) evaluation of acquisition proposals, (v) oversee preparation of call logs, and (vi) preparation of client communication materials.
- Opportunity exists for significant interaction with management teams and private equity/hedge fund investors, development of industry-specific knowledge and bankruptcy process expertise.
- Responsibilities regarding recapitalization transactions include (i) preparation of recapitalization, liquidity, debt capacity and valuation analyses, (ii) researching industry trends related to clients' businesses, (iii) researching related debt capital markets activity, (iv) summarizing material provisions of debt agreements and (v) preparation of certain bankruptcy court filings. This work will significantly enhance the candidate's analytical and corporate finance skills.
- New Business:
- Support outbound marketing effort to source new business opportunities.
- Responsibilities include (i) maintenance of weekly screens to identify financially stressed companies, (ii) preparation of summary credit analyses for qualified leads, and (iii) preparation of detailed presentations for client marketing meetings.
- The skills developed through these responsibilities will prepare the candidate to help originate investment ideas at a hedge fund / PE firm.
- Maintain internal databases to track selected information related to distressed M&A transactions, DIP financings and advisor retentions.
- Prepare "thought" materials around industries ripe for or predisposed to restructuring activity.
- Prepare presentation materials for speaking events, conferences, etc.
- Bachelors degree required with concentration in Finance or Accounting strongly preferred.
- One to three years of experience in the restructuring practice of an investment bank or financial advisory firm required.
- Series 79 and 63 licenses preferred (required within 6 months of hire)
- Financial Skills: Ability to prepare "three-statement" financial models to illustrate the impact of proposed transaction alternatives on the capital structure, cash flows, debt service requirements, and compliance with financial covenants. Familiarity with valuation principles (comparable company, precedent transaction and DCF analyses.)
- Research Skills: Ability to source company and industry information from databases, news sources, industry trade groups and analyst research. Proficiency with customary data sources including Bloomberg and CapIQ.
- Strong written skills.
- Familiarity with bankruptcy and general restructuring principles.
- Computer proficient - (Excel, Word, PowerPoint.)
As a William Blair & Company associate, you'll enjoy Medical, Dental, Life and AD&D Insurance, along with a generous profit sharing program that includes a 401K plan in addition to a firm contribution. We also offer three weeks of vacation, flexible spending accounts, a business casual dress code, a 75% discounted commissions on trades, and discounts at restaurants, museums, parks and retailers.
William Blair & Company, L.L.C. is an equal opportunity employer. It complies with all laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in employment practice because of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, marital status, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, unfavorable discharge from the military service or on the basis of a physical or mental disability that is unrelated to the employee's ability to perform the duties of the job applied for.