The responsibilities in this role include: developing and implementing plans to improve society services to members; developing society business models; and increasing the capacity of societies to serve their members in local markets. The position manages regional Society Relations staff to ensure a consistently high level of service, together with a proactive approach to raising Society Member Service Standards. The position is expected to work collaboratively with other teams worldwide, in particular membership services, marketing and communications, education and public advocacy, to facilitate the delivery of products and services for societies, and to assist those areas in pursuing their objectives at the local, regional or global level.
The position is expected to contribute to overall organizational objectives through participating in, or leading, global projects, as required.
The position will be based in Charlottesville, VA or New York, NY and will report to the Head, Global Society Relations.
1. Build capacity at regional societies through long-term strategy, innovation, and development:
• Design and organize strategic outreach activities, including society leader training, and consultancy to support strategic/business planning
• Assist societies in professionalizing their activities, from review of the local legal/fiscal regulatory framework to the recruitment, selection and management of staff
2. Plan and implement strategic society services and support activities that promote the development and improvement of member societies in the region:
• Implement strategies to enable societies to achieve the Society Member Service Standards and to access and effectively utilize funding
• Implement strategies to create a comprehensive service center for societies and to build and maintain strong relationships between societies and CFA Institute
• Monitor society activities and objectives, engaging staff to support these where appropriate
• Facilitate collaboration and the sharing of best practice between societies and regions through the development of effective communications
• Identify regional member/candidate growth potential and work with member networks to establish robust new societies
3. Closely collaborate with other Directors, Society Relations to ensure global consistency in the planning and execution of initiatives that deliver critical resources to societies including Growth Funding grants, the Annual Society Leadership Conference and Mid-Year Regional Meetings, and governance training.
4. Manage Society Relations staff in the region and work closely with the other regional offices to ensure quality and consistency of service:
• Coach staff to provide an effective and responsive service, and to seek opportunities to enhance society, candidate and member support
• Ensure the provision of meaningful opportunities for training, development and advancement
5. Regularly communicate and collaborate with Regional Managing Directors in the formulation of society relations strategies and their implementation to ensure consideration of the regional perspective while maintaining alignment with the principles of the Global Operating Model.
• Significant experience of managing client relationships
• Bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Five years' experience in managing a team to meet challenging objectives
• Demonstrable ability to lead and mentor subordinates
• Demonstrable relationship building, stewardship, and management skills
• Demonstrable strategic planning and project management skills
• Experience in developing and managing budgets
• Experience in planning and delivering conferences
• Working knowledge of multi-media and social media
• Fluency in English required; multilingual preferred
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and presentation
• Must demonstrate good judgment and mature business skills
• Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation desired
• Ability to use standard office software, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel to an advanced level
Energy to put in the hours of concentrated work necessary to achieve goals, while maintaining a positive attitude. This will include some evening and weekend work.
Global travel will be required, including to CFA Societies, conferences, meetings and events; approximately 20% of the time