CalPERS seeks an Investment Officer II to work under the general direction of the Portfolio Manager, Global Governance. The Investment Officer II assigned to the position identified above demonstrates the CalPERS Core Values (Quality, Respect, Integrity, Openness, Accountability, and Balance), works well as a member of a team, and takes initiative in effectively performing the following functions:
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Independently develop and present recommendations to the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Integration work stream lead (Investment Officer III, Portfolio Manager, or Senior Portfolio Manager) to support implementation of a total fund process for integrating ESG practices across the Total Fund. Responsibilities include policy development, independent research involving in-depth and comparative analyses, preparation of oral/written presentations, and maintaining current working knowledge of the global sustainability agenda.
• Lead implementation of strategic initiatives related to Total Fund ESG integration including development of Total Fund Principles on Sustainability, and review of ESG evidence to support CalPERS investment beliefs.
• Engage the cross-asset talents of Investment Office professionals to support ESG integration work program initiatives and projects. Liaise with internal CalPERS enterprise parties as needed such as: Executive Office, Legal Office, Office of External Affairs, and Office of Governmental Affairs.
• Independently represent CalPERS and support senior executive participation in external forums focused on the global sustainability agenda.
• Provide leadership, including training, mentoring, project direction, and work coordination for contract analysts, and other contract investment officers to ensure complete coordination and successful execution of all contract-related solicitations and documents.
• Represent CalPERS as key point of contact for investor forums and organizations - includes, but not limited to Ceres, the Aspen Institute, and Harvard University Governance Programs. Includes leading preparation and delivery of CalPERS survey responses and assessments related to ESG integration. Includes serving as CalPERS liaison for the Global Peer Exchange facilitating meetings and agendas.
Minimum Requirements and Experience:
• Equivalent to graduation from college preferably with major work in business administration, economics, finance, mathematics, or a closely related field
• Three years of increasingly responsible investment analysis experience for a public agency or private financial institution, insurance company, pension fund, endowment fund, investment firm, real estate development and investment firm, or other private corporation or entity having a major investment management program
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with investment professionals
• Strong data analysis skills using spreadsheet applications such as Microsoft Excel
• Experience integrating environmental, social, or governance analysis into investment analysis
• Ability to use good judgment in decision-making, exercise creativity, and flexibility in problem identification and resolution, manage time and resources effectively, and be responsive to management needs
• Excellent organizational, planning, written, and oral communication skills
• Strong personal computer skills and the ability to work with multiple applications
• Personal work ethic which parallels the CalPERS Core Values (Quality, Respect, Integrity, Openness, and Accountability)