When you join Dow Jones, you become part of one of the most dynamic, creative and savvy news and information companies in the world. As a global leader in news and business intelligence, we're newswires, websites, newspapers, apps, newsletters, databases, magazines, radio and television--including some of the widest-read and most-respected brands, like Factiva, The Wall Street Journal, Barron's and SmartMoney. Our media inform the discussions and decisions that are vital to the world's commerce, while our databases make the business world more transparent. We continually develop technology to transform information into insight and insight into prosperity. From 58 countries and in a dozen languages, we enlighten and inspire audiences with authoritative, differentiated and trusted content.
The Audience and Distribution Development Team negotiates and licenses content including video across multiple platforms to websites, streaming services, OEM’s, mobile publishers, IPTV platforms and other digital platforms. The team is responsible for delivering traffic to WSJDN properties across web, tablet and mobile and distributing of WSJDN branded content to grow the franchise reach.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for actively prospecting and closing meaningful new scale partnerships. This involves the development and negotiation of multi-layered USA/EMEA/Asia/Global content distribution agreements. These agreements will deliver traffic to WSJDN properties and distribute our content to new audiences in a profitable manner. The Director will work collaboratively with peers across product, technology, subscriptions, sales, analytics and editorial and lead new development of audience-growth, advertising inventory and subscription opportunities. The key area of responsibility will be focused on new relationships and fresh value to the business. This role reports into the Head of Consumer Business Development - Audience and Distribution for Dow Jones.
• Prospecting and closing a sales funnel of new development opportunities
• Reporting on delivered audience and distribution metrics to accurately quantify value obtained
• Work with the team to align Business Development strategy with product and editorial priorities
• The Manager should be able to proactively identify potential opportunities and think creatively in business situations.
• Develop formalized business plan; defining appropriate category strategy, commercial terms, editorial execution plan
• Research potential partners as strategic needs are identified
• Work closely across multiple functional areas (sales, marketing, product, editorial) to develop consistent and efficient strategies and executions
• Look at research to analyze key industry trends particularly digital, social and mobile and make recommendations on revenue and distribution opportunities
• Prepare analysis and develop recommendations to present to key stakeholders
• Negotiate and bring deals to completion in partnership with key stakeholders
• Develop relationships across the larger Dow Jones organization with a view to collaborating and furthering our business goals
Qualifications & Skills
-5 year's recent and relevant sales and business development experience; experience in video licensing and distribution preferred
• 3-5 years experience working in digital media in a business development or related capacity
• Solution sales skills in SAAS, Consultancy or other complex sales area is preferred
• Strong background in contract negotiation
• Existing relationships with web and mobile publishers, understanding of new distribution and audience growth opportunities
• Competent analytics, business modeling and reporting skills
• Demonstrated creative problem solving, value analysis with a solid knowledge of product marketing and editorial issues
• Exceptional creativity and demonstrable history of idea development relevant to emerging technologies and trends in digital media that have caused revenue success
• Experience in deal term construction and redline coordination with legal counsel
• Highly networked with access to senior executives across the media industry
• Highly focused with a strong work ethic, able to inspire and lead peers across departments
• Must be pro-active, organized and efficient
• MBA preferred
• Deep knowledge and understanding of digital landscape, including mobile, video and social
Dow Jones: Making Careers Newsworthy
At Dow Jones our Managers work to meet our equal opportunity and affirmative action objectives and our Employees help to foster a professional, welcoming and encouraging environment.