|The Wall Street Journal is America’s largest newspaper by total average circulation with more than 2.3 million subscribers and 36 million global digital visitors per month. In recent years, The Journal has expanded its core content offering to include coverage of the arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and personal health, building on its heritage as the leading source of business and financial news. Published by Dow Jones, one of the world’s largest news gathering operations with 2,000 journalists in more than 50 countries, the Wall Street Journal now spans 12 editions in nine languages, engaging readers across newspapers, websites, magazines, social media, and video. The Journal holds 35 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. |
The Wall Street Journal has an open position for a Research Director in the WSJ Ad Marketing group to help lead research initiatives in support of the integrated ad sales team. The primary goal is to positively position the WSJ audience and our digital, mobile and print products as the most effective advertising solutions for delivering on advertisers’ objectives.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Research, the Research Director will have a strong digital background, and be the expert in digital research trends, industry issues, insights and WSJ strengths and challenges. S/he will work closely with the ad sales team and clients to analyze data from numerous sources and create compelling sales stories and actionable insights that meet their needs, as well as use expertise to develop solutions to ad sales challenges and anticipate opportunities in the digital research arena. The Research Director will represent The Wall Street Journal within trade organizations such as the OPA and IAB.
- Bachelor degree or higher
- 8 years of print and digital media research experience, with at least 4 focused on digital (online, mobile, social)
- Experience with cross-platform media companies and integrated sales environments
- Strong understanding of new media and digital industry trends and technology
- Expert knowledge of media research resources and tools such as Omniture, comScore, MMR, MRI, New Age, Kantar, etc.
- Experience with ad effectiveness tracking tools, such as those provided by Dynamic Logic and Insight Express
- Knowledge of primary research to work with ad sales and clients on surveys from conception to presentation
- Must be able to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Required to spearhead projects, troubleshoot and manage them through to completion
- Must be a strategic thinker
- Requires excellent analytical, verbal and writing skills
- Strong MS Office skills, specifically Excel and PowerPoint
- Should be comfortable presenting digital information, trends, research results to both internal groups and external clients
Dow Jones: Making Careers Newsworthy
At Dow Jones, our managers work to meet our equal opportunity and affirmative action objectives and our employees help to foster a professional, welcoming and encouraging environment.