The Wall Street Journal is America’s largest newspaper by total average circulation with more than 2.3 million subscribers and 36 million global digital visitors per month. In recent years, The Journal has expanded its core content offering to include coverage of the arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and personal health, building on its heritage as the leading source of business and financial news. Published by Dow Jones, one of the world’s largest news gathering operations with 2,000 journalists in more than 50 countries, the Wall Street Journal now spans 12 editions in nine languages, engaging readers across newspapers, websites, magazines, social media, and video. The Journal holds 35 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism.
The Wall Street Journal has an open position for a Research Manager within The Wall Street Journal's Ad Sales Marketing group. This position will be part of the team that supports the integrated ad sales staff responsible for all of the brands under the WSJ umbrella including The Wall Street Journal and WSJ Digital Network.
Primary goal is to positively position the WSJ audience and products as the most effective advertising solution for delivering on advertisers’ objectives.
Reporting to the Director of Research, the Research Manager will be required to respond to requests from the ad sales team for both print and digital research for his/her assigned ad categories, as well as help answer digital research questions that arise; analyze data from numerous sources to respond to RFPs, provide actionable insights to the advertising sales team in an efficient and timely manner, and compile monthly updates and assist on other research projects as needed. The research manager must be skilled at analyzing data and using it to create a compelling sales story.
- Bachelor degree or higher
- 5 years of media research experience, including meaningful experience with digital research (online, mobile, video) along with print;
- Experience with cross-platform media companies preferred
- Solid experience with media research tools and resources such as web tracking solutions (Omniture SiteCatalyst), comScore, MMR, MRI, New Age, Kantar, etc.
- Experience with ad effectiveness tracking tools, such as those provided by Dynamic Logic and Insight Express a plus
- Knowledge of primary research helpful to develop questionnaires for surveys
- Must be able to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Required to spearhead a project, troubleshoot and manage it through to completion
- Must be a strategic thinker
- Requires excellent analytical, verbal and writing skills
- Strong MS Office skills, specifically Excel and PowerPoint; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Should be comfortable explaining digital trends and information to both internal and external clients as necessary
Dow Jones: Making Careers Newsworthy
At Dow Jones, our managers work to meet our equal opportunity and affirmative action objectives and our employees help to foster a professional, welcoming and encouraging environment.